Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Witches Broom

Hi Everyone,

Fall is finally here and the weather here in the Greater Cincinnati region has cooled down quite a bit and that is welcome relief from the stifling heat we had this summer.

Yes it's true, fall, also known as the Autumnal Equinox, officially starts today at 10:49 EDT. Also at this time of the year, we usually see a Harvest Moon. That is the 1st full moon after the Autumnal Equinox and this year it occurs next Saturday and Sunday, Sept 29 and 30.Click here for more interesting information.  Along with fall, comes with the lore of witches flying on their brooms and the like.

Speaking of brooms, I hope that you had some time to participate in the blog hop Thursday and Friday. It was a fun hop and there were terrific ideas from all the Sparkle N Sprinkle designers. I received so many comments and I  want to thank you all for those kind words. It seems that a lot of you liked that little broom I made and added to  my 2nd card. So I decided to give you all a quick pictorial  tutorial.


The broom was the embellishment I made for this card.


Here is the easy way to make this broom.

Start out with a wooden skewer and black CS strip 1.5"X 7" and not pictured I used 1/4 tearific tape from Sparkle N Sprinkle





Next draw a line 1/2" from the top of the black strip




Using small detail scissors, cut fringe from bottom of strip up to the pencil line.


Fringe cut the whole strip.



Next add a tape band to skewer about 1" from tip. I went around 2-3 times to make the tape band.


Next I added tape in the area above the fringe cut.


Next, lay the tape band on the skewer, onto the edge of the taped area of the fringe strip.

Start to roll the skewer over the fringe strip. As you roll the skewer you will be making the broom larger.


Roll, til the strip is all rolled into the skewer. Now you have a broom!!!



Easy peasy!! and it takes no time at all!!
Have a great day, see you soon


7 comments:

Gina said...

What a great idea! I love fall and you made a great card.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Thanks for the broom tutorial - you can bet you're going to see more brooms on cards by the time Halloween gets here!

Brenda said...

Thanks for sharing! It's a fun tip and is perfect for the Halloween cards! I'm sure it's going to get a lot of use....

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love that darling witchy card. And, thanks for the tutorial on making a neat broom too.

Hopemore Studio said...

Oh my goodness the possibilities. Thanks for sharing this!

Kathy Vogel said...

Thank you so much for the directions on how to make the broom. I'm really excited to try it.

Donna Ellis said...

Barbara, fantastic tutorial! I can also see it done with spring flowers leaning against a die cut door LOL (but not in black LOL)